SMART Recovery – Self Management for Addiction Recovery
"Discover the Power of Choice!"в„ў
SMART Recovery is the leading self-empowering addiction recovery support group. Our participants learn tools for addiction recovery based on the latest scientific research and participate in a world-wide community which includes free, self-empowering, science-based mutual help groups.
The SMART RecoveryВ 4-Point Program ® helps people recover from all types of addiction and addictive behaviors, including: drug abuse, drug addiction, substance abuse, alcohol abuse, gambling addiction, cocaine addiction, prescription drug abuse, sexual addiction, and problem addiction to other substances and activities. SMART Recovery sponsors face-to-face meetings around the world, and daily online meetings. In addition, our online message board and 24/7 chat room are excellent forums to learn about SMART Recovery and obtain addiction recovery support. If you’re new to SMART Recovery, get started with our introduction here.
Start a SMART Recovery Meeting in Your Community
We Provide the Resources to Assist You
• Freely downloadable Meeting Facilitator Manuals
• On-line training sessions for Meeting Facilitators
• Regional Administrators are available to help
• The Central Office staff is ready to help you.
Ready to get started? Click a selection below!
learn about online volunteering opportunities.
Our 4-Point Program ®
The SMART Recovery 4-Point Program offers tools and techniques for each program point:
1: Building and Maintaining Motivation
2: Coping with Urges
3: Managing Thoughts, Feelings and Behaviors
4: Living a Balanced Life
- • Teaches self-empowerment and self-reliance.
- • Provides meetings that are educational, supportive and include open discussions.
- • Encourages individuals to recover from addiction and alcohol abuse and live satisfying lives.
- • Teaches techniques for self-directed change.
- • Supports the scientifically informed use of psychological treatments and legally prescribed psychiatric and addiction medication.
- • Works on substance abuse, alcohol abuse, addiction and drug abuse as complex maladaptive behaviors with possible physiological factors.
- • Evolves as scientific knowledge in addiction recovery evolves.
- • Differs from Alcoholics Anonymous, Narcotics Anonymous and other 12-step programs.
SMART Recovery is a recognized resource for substance abuse and addiction recovery by the American Academy of Family Physicians, the Center for Health Care Evaluation, The National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), US Department of Health and Human Services, and the American Society of Addiction Medicine. More information here!
SMART Recovery gratefully appreciates the support of the following organizations and provides these links. If you are searching for a residential or intensive outpatient program, all sponsors listed below offer non-12 step programs.
A complete list of providers can be found here.
Tom Horvath introduces you to SMART Recovery and the SMART Recovery 4-Point Program.
Stay Informed of Updates
Receive email notifications when newly released issues of News & Views are available online, along with other occasional updates.
Get Your SMART Handbook
• Learn the 4-Point Program
Get the Kindle version and carry your Handbook with you everywhere: on your Kindle, smartphone or tablet. Or read it on your personal computer or laptop.
Each year SMART Recovery conducts a survey among its participants. The results can be found here.
A Chronology of SMART Recovery
CheckUp & Choices
SMART Recovery Blog
News & Views Newsletter
Contact SMART Recovery
7304 Mentor Avenue
Mentor, OH 44060
Toll free: 866-951-5357
Young Adult Outreach
SMART Recovery® is a 501(c)3 Non-Profit Organization